Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Favorite Christmas Ornaments (a "tag" from Cristi)

My friend Cristi G. has posted on her blog some of her favorite Christmas ornaments and has "tagged" her friends to do the same. This is a new "blog term" for me, but I'll take the challenge and show off some of my favorites.

Each year my Mom (Nana) gives Sarah and Katie an ornament. I have them all labeled with the year and supposedly when they leave home, they will take them for their first Christmas tree. The only problem is that over the years they have become some of my favorites and make me sentimental. I don't know if I'll be able to give them up one day. We also have a family tradition of picking up an ornament when we are on vacation. So we have several Mickey Mouse ones, beach themed ones, ones from Don's parents and ones with the girls' names from our travels. It's hard to pick favorites because our tree is a mix of special memories and ornaments that represent different times in our family's life over the past 18 years. I do have to say that we went through a Barbie phase for a few years and I finally had to say "take them off the family tree and put them on the tree in your bedroom."

But here are a few of the ones that make me smile.......

Don's favorite! His cousin gave us a box of miscellaneous ornaments as a wedding gift since we were married on December 1. It was a fun wedding gift.

This was our first "baby". Our black lab puppy (Grace) we got the spring after we were married. We had her 5 years before having Sarah. After 15 years, she died in Spring of 2006. All 3 of our current dogs now have their own ornaments on the tree.

To Sarah from Nana (1995 Santa, 1996 Mickey/Minnie). When Sarah was 1 year old she loved Mickey. The Santa ornament was when she was 1 month old.


To Katie from Nana 1999. This was when Katie was 1 year old. I love it because the chubby little cheeks remind me of Katie when she was a baby.


To Sarah from Nana (2006). I just love this sweet angel. Katie has one similar. I have a lot of different angels on my tree.


One of my favorite snowmen. He belongs to a set of three I got one year after Christmas at the Hallmark store. I tend to pick up Santas, snowmen, and angels.

I have several nativity and cross ornaments. I like this one because it reminds me of why we celebrate Christmas!

These are not ornaments, but favorites. The Santa countdown has pockets and 24 felt ornaments that the girls put in each day. They alternate years for who gets to put Santa in on the 24th. This is the first Christmas that the truth about Santa is known to both of them. The other is a musical snowglobe that Don's Mom gave me early in our marriage. It plays "Silent Night" and the Christmas story scenes rotate around the base.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah Kim! Thanks for sharing these...they are great! And I'm with you...it will be hard to let go of all my kids' ornaments...I grow so attached :) Love you and aren't you glad we're not having to be at school on this cold, cold day!?