Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Birthday Sarah (and Happy Thanksgiving) !!




































This Thanksgiving we are also celebrating Sarah's 13th birthday. It's hard to believe we are parents of a teenager. How did that happen so fast? Since her birthday is on Thanksgiving day this year, she had a party with her friends a few weeks ago. She invited 3 friends over for a night at the movies and a sleepover. We went to see Madagascar 2 (at 8:30, thank goodness, not too late). Before leaving they ate cake, opened presents, and just hung out in Sarah's room for a while. They actually all were asleep by midnight. Not quite the party animals like Katie and her friends.
My Mom took Sarah last Saturday for a beauty day out. She had her hair cut and styled and then had a lesson in makeup application. I can't believe she's interested in makeup. But for now I'm sure it will only be for special occasions. Sarah has it down to exactly the last possible minute she can sleep and still make it to school on time. So I don't see hair and makeup happening on school mornings yet. I went with my mom and Sarah and we enjoyed our day together. My mom wanted to take Sarah for a nice lunch, but she just wanted to go to Chick-Fil-A (still the little girl in her). Then we tried to go shopping, but she saw nothing she liked, and just shrugged her shoulders. She did find some new earrings that look quite cute on her. It feels like we've been celebrating her birthday for weeks now, so I'm looking forward to the "real" day on Thursday and then moving on into the Christmas season.

I thought I would add some thoughts to our life with a new teenager. For those of you who have gone before me, hope this makes you smile. I did try to keep it positive since we are celebrating Thanksgiving.....so Sarah, there's no mention of the eye rolling and door slamming :)

TOP TEN REASONS TO BE THANKFUL FOR HAVING A
TEENAGER IN THE HOUSE

10) having a “babysitter” for my 10 year old
9) being able to have “mature” conversations (even if they make me blush)
8) sharing shoes since she is now my size (wish we could share jeans)
7) the moments when she comes out of her room to participate in family game/movie night
6) she still likes to hang out at our house with her friends
5) we share more of the same tastes in movies (no longer just Disney animation)
4) she likes my radio station (94.9 KLTY, Christian music)
3) she doesn’t need as much help with homework and school projects
2) having someone else in the house who can understand PMS (yes Don, it’s real)
1) she still gives me hugs at bedtime and says “I love you too”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Bday to the teenager and good luck to the parents! Mom and I sure wished you were with us s hopping yesterday. We had fun!

mandy said...

Sarah, you look beautiful!!
How about adding this to your list - teenagers sleep 'til noon so you no longer have to get up at 0darkthirty to watch cartoons.

Angela Booty Smith said...

I had to laugh at your top ten list, especially the part about the shoes and jeans. Emily and I are in that same situation now. We both wear size 9 shoes, but not the same size jeans (and, no, I'm not spilling the beans on those sizes). She still isn't taller than me, but at 5'7", we're neck and neck. When I was her age, I was only 5'5", so she probably has a couple more inches to go...