Monday, February 23, 2009

Bye to Sam


18 month old Sarah feeding Sam



Grace and Sam - fall of 1994 (our house in Euless)

Friday was a hard day for the Riley family. It was finally time to say goodbye to Sam after 14 years. She had pretty much quit eating last week and the decision we had been putting off had to be made. Sam came into our family in the fall of 1994 when Don brought her home from the animal shelter (without me knowing). Does this have a familiar ring? Anyway, we had been talking about getting a friend for our black lab Grace since we were trying to get pregnant and didn't want Grace to be lonely. Sarah was born in November 1995 and the two black dogs were always around. Grace died in May of 2006 and now Sam is gone. I'm thankful for the wonderful years we had with her, and she was one of our first "children". Here are a couple of old photos. Our family will appreciate the memories as Grace and Sam were the first generation of Riley dogs. I hope the next generation (Dixie and Ranger) have as many years with us.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so sorry! I wish we could hang on to our pets forever. The pictures are sweet!

Anonymous said...

Oh that makes me very sad! It's not too long before we have to do the same with Houdini. So hard!

amberdawn said...

Kim! I am so sorry-I hate it when my friends have to go through loss of any kind! How are the girls taking it?