Friday, January 16, 2009

Volunteer Mom







Being silly....they wanted me to catch them jumping, but I couldn't quite get the timing right!

Here's my piece of advice for today....when your 13 year old daughter asks you to drive some of the choir girls to get their pictures made, DO IT!!!

The Smithfield Middle School girls Varsity choir needed to have pictures made for their upcoming February performance in San Antonio for the TMEA (Texas Music Educators Association). This is an invitation only performance for choirs across the state of Texas. The choir director says it's like the football team going to the state championship.
So, they needed to have pictures taken to create a program they will take to the performance and couldn't secure school buses to drive the girls. On Monday, Sarah calls and asks me if I can drive some girls on Wednesday. How could I turn down her request? We met after school and I watched in amazement as 65 girls poured into the choir room to change into their formal dresses. The clothes were flying, hair being styled, makeup being applied, giggling, talking, just imagine. I just took it all in.

I drove Sarah and 2 of her good friends to the Ft. Worth Botanical Gardens for their pictures. We were there from about 4:30-5:30 as they took small group pictures and the large group shot. Then the photographer handed her expensive cameras to these 7th/8th grade girls for them to take candid shots of each other. She's braver than I would be. I got some nice shots of the girls and am glad I got to see this wonderful group of girls and their bubbly personalities. The ride home was long because of rush hour traffic and one highway accident. But it was great being a "fly on the wall" as the 3 girls giggled and talked non-stop in the back seat. I won't share any info since I don't want to embarrass Sarah. But oh what you can find out just by driving 13 year olds around. I'm very proud of Sarah and the girls she calls friends. So if you are ever wondering whether or not to chaperone your teenage kids, go for it, you just might have fun and learn more about your child.







No comments: