Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day Essay










During the month of June our church held an essay contest entitled "I Love my Dad". It was open to grades kindergarten through 6th. Katie told Don she wasn't going to enter, but secretly wrote an essay. I received a message from our children's minister last week notifying me that Katie won in the 4th-6th grade division. She and I were so excited!!!! Don and Sarah were in San Antonio last week with our church on Mission Trip.

Katie and the two other winners were presented in the 2 worship services at church this morning. They each read their essay and then were given a gift to present to their dads. Katie did great!!! She was nervous about reading in front of so many people, but courage and prayer pulled her through. It was so sweet and such a blessing for Don. He received a $50 gift card to Lowe's and 2 tickets to the Texas Rangers baseball game (ground level behind homeplate). What a Father's Day to remember.

Soooooo............here's the winning essay in its original unedited form!

My dad is great, and I love him very much. He is careing, nice, playful, and joyful. He tries to help me out through problems. He goes out and does stuff I want to do even if he doesn't want to. He makes the best of my days. I love him because he loves God and he puts Him first, and I'm proud of him. He is there at almost every one of my events. He is truthful and never lies to me. He is thoughtful for me and everyone in our family. He has many talents and uses them for me. One is patience. He has lots of it. He always tries to keep his cool. I'm grateful for that and I love him for trying. He is also good at surprises. When he does do them he thinks of whats best for the family. I love him very much and I'm proud to call him my father.

What more can I say? Katie has such a tender heart and she made her daddy get teary eyed today. I'm very proud of both of them.

2 comments:

amberdawn said...

Awwwww....that made me cry! Such sweet girls you have! ;)

Unknown said...

Yay Katie! Ya'll sure do have good luck winning things lately!!! What a precious Father's Day memory for Don.